Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Ole Prairie Dog


He's a Grandpa......and oh, boy, does he ever love the role. Father's day is coming. I have no idea what kind of Father he was to his kids....can't imagine that he would be a bad one. But, just like my Dad, I suspect being a Grandpa is at least as big a joy, and as big a lesson for him as it was my Dad.
The reason I can't imagine him being bad at either job is because when I think of him, I feel a gentle soul nearby. Gentle giant fits him, especially since I am only 5'(almost)4".
I was 14, going to Savannah Ga, to visit with my brother, who was stationed there in the army. He lived in one of the really old houses that later was part of a historical restoration project. Two stories, fireplaces in bedrooms. He had two roommates, one was Young Prairie dog......
My brother was pretty busy, so PD took over my care and feeding for a lot of the visit. He was in his 20's, I can't imagine that watching after me had been on his agenda. I remember that one of the places he took me was to the beach, a real treat for me, I had not seen that much sand or water too many times in my life. Then we went to a party at a beach house where there were guitars and folk songs, and a bunch of people who didn't seem to mind that there was a bratty little sister in the mix.
We rode around in a Mustang, "THE" car in my mind at the time, that or a camero....but 14, with a tall, good looking "older" man ferrying me around in a really cool Mustang? OH,MY! And, he was smiling and seeming to have as much fun as I was having. I was just a little bit in love.........
He told me of his true love, Flame. Showed me her picture. Yes, a georgous redhead, Flame fit her well. His whole body language changed when he spoke of her. Not too many years later, they were married, and they are together still. They have been through some things that might have torn others apart, seems to me like it cemented them even more. He helped care for her parents for several years, under circumstances that might have cracked them both. They both survived, and seemingly, very well. I hope I am right.
One time, I was chatting with my Bro, in passing, telling him I wish we could go play golf at the local Navy course here. He could get us in because of being a retiree. This conversation evolved into plans for a reunion of the Savannah bunch, and others they had known during their service time. OPD was broached about this, and being a nearly rabid golfing enthusiast, was all for it. OPD was coming to MY town! I was looking forward to it all, but my favorite part was going to be seeing him again, and meeting Flame. Flame was coming with him, then parental duties prevented that from happening. I hated that more than they will ever know, I wanted to meet her, how could I not love her as well, since he loved her so much?
He came, we golfed , we went out to eat, we had a wonderful time. I still loved him. Not the crushy love of a fourteen year old, but the love of a person who has chosen this person to be a brother of her heart. Chosen to make sure that the ties would never be broken. Chosen to celebrate with them everything that makes them joyous, grieve with them over everything that makes them sad. Checking every day through cyberspace for things that affect their lives. Makes them laugh, makes them mad, makes them think. I am thankful for the technology that gives us something that makes it so easy to keep in touch in all our busy lives.
I have other brothers....in laws and outlaws.....but, I have 2 favorites. This is an ode to one of them.

3 Comments:

Blogger OlePrairiedog said...

How wonderfully kind and poignant.
Thank you and know I am a brother of your heart.
OlePrairiedog

10:03 AM  
Blogger Greybeard said...

Ahhhh......Amen, Sis!

That beach party....what a great memory!
We were VERY close to graduation. As I recall, there was a table on the beach with a long extension cord for the blender. Strawberry Daiquiris were in order, 'til we ran out of strawberries. Then we made Banana Daiquiris 'til we ran outta bananas. If memory serves, before the night was done, someone then was threatening to make Daiquiris out of Ketchup!

My brother too, for all these almost 40 years.
One that I'm pretty sure would drop everything, buy a ticket, and board a plane if I shouted "Help".
Not many like him.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he could really eat turkey too.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home