Monday, April 25, 2011

A N T I C I P A T I O N .........

This coming Fri, the Rooster and I are going to load up my beast, and start the first leg of our journey towards our first ever cruise. Everyone we talk to who has had this adventure say we are going to love it! I sure hope so. We have been semi reluctant because the Rooster gets seasick easily, but we have been told repeatedly that we will barely feel the ship move.
We are going to the Bahamas....Freeport and Nassau. We have picked our excursions already ( they are going to cost us as much as the fare for the cruise), and we have lots of advice on what to avoid and what is "don't miss this!". Thanks to everyone for their input.
One of the excursions is a 2 hour jeep tour. I dreamed the other night that Kenny was reluctant to drive because they drive on the "wrong side" of the road there. I'm not sure it even occured to him that the steering wheel is also on the "wrong side" of the vehicle. In my dream, I was telling him that I wanted him to have the experience, because I already knew what it was like to drive a vehicle like that. My ex ( thank You, God, for the ex part) and I bought a Fairlady Z in Spain. Sexy car with a nose as long as Pinocchio's when he was lying. Driving that car took some practice, you found out real quick how much weaker you are on your left side when you had to learn how to shift a five speed with your left hand. AND you shifted everything towards you, instead of away. It got VERY interesting when we had to get that thing to turn a corner in Toledo.....uphill, streets built for burro carts, behind you rock walls, and on the other side of those walls, a horrendous drop off the mountain. The nose of the car was too long to just turn the corner, so, in a fifteen point turn it was, brake, clutch, gas, brake, clutch, gas......with finesse we didn't know we had!!
They drive on the right side in Spain, so we didn't have that aspect of the adventure, but it was great fun to watch people when they realized the person driving was on the right side of the car. Even more fun was putting the dog on the left side and rolling the window down so she could stick her head out the window!!
We were able to bring that car back to the states because it had been registered in the US before the emission control rules were put into effect. Then, we had the fun of going through toll booths, wehad to learn how to toss the money in the basket over the roof of the car. We had to shout even louder to order from the drive through, and then get out of the car to pay and pick up the food.
Yes, we got stopped by the cops one time. Unspoken, he and I agreed to push the envelope and see how long it was before the cop realized that I wasn't driving. I handed him my license and registration ( got that out of the glove box in front of me, and he didn't even notice it then !) He went back to his vehicle to check all that out, and when he walked back to hand it all back to me is when it dawned on him that I didn't have a steering wheel in front of me. He got THAT look on his face, bent down to look at the ex, who DID have a steering wheel in front of him, scowled for a second, the grinned and said "good one." We busted out laughing then, which was a good thing, cuz I think we would have exploded, otherwise. He handed my license and registratioin back to me and said, "All right, you get this one, get out of here. " I think we made his day. Glad he had a sense of humor, or we could have been in real trouble.
I got to drive that car for 4 years before it became decrepit enough that we were afraid it was a hazard to our well being. So, I want the Rooster to have the fun I had. I will take over if it freaks him out, but I don't really think it will. He's pretty good about being up for getting his horizons broadened, and having a ball at it.
We are also going to do a shallow water snorkle jaunt. Shallow because the rooster thinks he can't swim. He had one of those &$(#$@ uncles who threw him in the water to teach him how to swim. I told him a long time ago that I hoped I never met the man, because there would be an explosion if I did. So, Rooster is very unsure of himself in the water. Because I am a water baby, he has grown to love being in the water as long as he can put his feet down and stand up. BUT, he has also taught himself how to swim better. Better than he thinks he can. I'll watch him, and he'll be swimming along, doing just great, and then all of a sudden he loses it somehow and flounders a little, then stands up. I taught him how to use a snorkle so that maybe he would start putting his face in the water, and he has done that well, as well. The shallow water excursion shows pictures of rays and other creatures of the sea, so we hope it is representative of what we really will see. I'm so very proud of him for teaching himself what he has, and being brave enough to try new things. I feel, and hope some of his willingness to try has been because he loves me, and wants to share my joys with me.
On the way back home, we are stopping in Orlando to go to Universal's Islands of Adventure. Actually, we will be going to both parks, but, the important one is Islands, because of the new Harry Potter area, AND because he's been challenged. We aren't roller coaster people. Neither is his son. We have been experimenting gradually with pushing our barf limits ( or maybe at our ages, our heart attack limits). We have always loved Space Mountain at Disney, and now the Rocking Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios (also Disney). Just in the last year, we have done the Tower of Terror at Hollywood studios....that's not one I thought I would ever do, cuz it's the drops that get to me. Turn me upside down, take me around in a circle, and I'm good. I have nearly passed out on the first hill of some roller coasters. There is this thing called a vagal response....it's why Elvis died when he did, and so many people die in the bathroom.It's probably also why many women died during childbirth. You clamp, bear down, and you pass out because your heart slows its rate and your brain doesn't get enough blood. I learned to scream instead. You can't clamp down when you are screaming. Anyway, Rooster's son rode the Incredible Hulk at Adventures and has challenged his Dad to do the same. And being the good rednecked Rooster that he is, his testosterone level won't let him let his son show him up. His insurance is paid in full and I have let him know that I very likely won't be doing this with him. My level of testosterone has nothing to prove to anybody. People HAVE died on the ride. Heart attacks.
As of today, I have 2 more work days to live through, Rooster has 4 and a half. Then, it's "On the road again...." Can hardly wait. Will let you all know if I come back married, or widowed. If it's the latter, send money, not flowers..........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home