Thursday, October 26, 2006

Star light, star bright

I grew up around airplanes, big, little, real and model. My Daddy and all his brothers flew, I was told I was 2 weeks old the first time I was in an airplane. There was a time in my life that I could tell people we had an airplane in our garage.....I don't think they believed me. We did, but it was in pieces. Daddy was rebuilding it. It was a Piper Cub,and it had a fabric fuselage and wings. I hung out in the garage with my Dad alot, handed him tools when he was involved in something that required tool-handing. He wouldn't let me be in the garage, tho, when he was putting the fabric back on the wings.....he was using something he called "dope" to strengthen and shrink the fabric to the wings and fuselage. I caught a whiff of it a couple of times, and understood why they would call it such. It was a garage full of what kids would sniff to get high. Daddy smoked, but I'd be willing to bet that stuff did more damage than 5 years of smoking.
One of the things Dad and I would do to get out of the house was drive to the end of the runway and watch the planes take off from Weir-Cook airport in Indianapolis. I couldn't have been but 4 or 5 when we did this, and I enjoyed it as much as he, I think. Maybe he enjoyed it even more because I did.
The first time I flew in a commercial aircraft was the trip I took to Savannah to fall in love with OPD. It was so very strange to crawl into a plane and not be sitting right beside, or right behind to the pilot. Worse yet, I wasn't RELATED to the pilot!!! OH NO!!!!WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!! I hadn't thought to be nervous until all this occured to me.
I still love to fly. My favorite part is the takeoff. You sit in this tube....your ears are popping because the cabin is getting pressurized....you mosey out to the end of the runway and get into position. The jet engines start to rev, and the tube shakes because it's being held back when all it wants to do is GO. The the brakes release, and you are flattened back in the seat, racing faster and faster down the runway. The nose eventually lifts and all of a sudden the shaking stops and up you go. A few more ear pops and you start to level some. Here is where the excitement starts to wane for me. As long as I don't have to be on the plane for more than a few hours, I enjoy the whole trip, but as I get older, I seem to get number quicker. And numb begins to hurt. Not so bad if you are on the aisle.You don't have to bother people to get up. I still bump my noggin on the overhead compartment every time I get up,tho.
The last takeoff I was in was my favorite so far. Houston.....Dark. The usual rush for takeoff. Then I looked out the window at the little row of lights in the sky. Like a shifting group of stars taking their turns in line to drift to earth to turn into something more mundane. Another star takes it's place each time one makes it to terra firma, and another claims it's place at the end of the line. Maybe they aren't stars at all, but angels coming to earth to interact with us and leave us each a little blessing.
Don't ruin it for me,okay?

3 Comments:

Blogger Greybeard said...

It's called "the Daisy Chain".
I now wish I'd had the foresight in '68 to go out with a movie camera and record the thousands of helicopters in line, coming back to the heliport after a training session.
What an amazing sight!

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you didn't get that last sentence.......Don't ruin it for her.

7:24 PM  
Blogger OlePrairiedog said...

Awww shucks, I thought you fell for me teaching me Euchre.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home