Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I thought I knew me

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, my family is still recovering from Hurricane Ivan. We are now 14 months, and I expect, several more months, and maybe years, before we can say "DONE!" Money has run out, thankfully, not without the necessities being installed. AND without really scrimping badly in the process. We didn't go top drawer on many things, but we didn't get junk just to have it done. We reconfigured the house to maximize storage and room space, the new roof cost a third of the available money ( we found that the term "rolled roofing" means it rolls off to your back yard during a hurricane).We wanted to avoid, as well as we can, doing this again next year. We brought many things up to code that had been limping along for over 50 years. Complete new wiring, complete new plumbing ( trust me folks, don't raise your kids to be doctors or lawyers, send them to Votech school, you'll get a much better return!), replacement of termite damage that had been there for 20 plus years, hidden.
We lived in the house before it was livable, thanks to family and friends with that votech kind of training, with extension cords through the windows, and at one point, "rednecked indoor plumbin'" consisting of a garden hose through the front window to the toilet tank for more convenient flushes. We had been blessed with a nice sized camper that had survived, which provided us a place to live for 4 1/2 months. And a place for me when I was working my night shift and needed to sleep during the day while progress was happening in the house. We lived in the camper full time at first because the Army Corps of Engineers "blue Roof" program created more leakage than we had with just a regular tarp stretched across the roof. We had to fashion funnels to make one big leak from 10 or so by stapling up drop cloth to the ceiling beams, at an angle, to direct the water into collection buckets. The moment we had new good roof overhead, we called for delivery of our new bed. You should have seen the looks on the guys faces when they delivered the bed! They were carrying boxes THROUGH the wall studs. When they asked how I was going to power the bed ( we bought one of those sleep number beds, air system, needs 'lectric), I held up extension cord #6. I would frequently wake up in the morning, roll over, look through 2 walls to my husband,very engrossed in the sports page, on his throne. TMI? Okay, but it was our comfort zone, no matter how primitive.
Every bit of progress towards normalcy was noted, one of the biggest was when the kitchen was finished. I am so proud of my kitchen, I could pop, but just having functional sinks in the house was a HUGE deal! No more hauling water from the crick!
The biggets surprises for my husband and I are the small things that we are finding increase our comfort level enormously. One for my husband was when we brought the big screen tv home. It worked, thankfully, and that was great. It wasn't the tv that was the issue, tho. We, in the same trip, brought the dog's toy box home. It had been in the storage shed for over a year. When we brought it in, she circled it a couple of times, sniffed it, and when she decided it wasn't dangerous, began counting her toys. Later that night while watching the tv, he looked around the living room. She was in the floor, on her back with a toy between her paws, very efficiently killing it. On the floor, scattered over the entire living room area, was about 10 of her favorites. He looked at me, smiled and said, "feels like home now."
For me, a moment came today when I went out to survey progress on repairing the front porch. Enough was done that it looked like a porch again, and it is possible it will be finished today. If not today, then tomorrow. Then, we can let the great lizard/palmetto bug hunters out on the porch again without fear of their losing the cat/car wars. Squirrels again will have to decide whether they are really in danger or not, and they will do their best to convince them they could "get out of here if we wanted!".
We are coming to realize how much of our own comfort is tied up in the comfort of our animals. While many would say that was a waste of time and effort, my husband and I will just call it...........Home.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A cardiac research group in California recently presented a detailed study to the American Heart Association about the effects of pet therapy on patients with heart failure .http://www.heraldnewsdaily.com/stories/news-00101055.html
It really didn’t surprise me that the benefits of a visiting canine far surpassed the benefits of a visiting human. Animals have a calming effect on most people and I’m glad your “kids” are getting back to their version of normal.

If there is one thing to be learned from recent disasters, I hope it is that people cannot be separated from their pets. Having to chose between one’s own life and the life of a pet would be my idea of a worse-case scenario. I just don’t think I could do it but I know so many had no choice. From now on, I hope disaster planners understand that the animals HAVE to be evacuated with their families.

A long time ago in an ICU, an elderly man who was intubated, became increasing agitated when he was awake. Finally he was well enough we could take out his ET tube and he could talk. He first words were about his dog. He had been trying to tell us that his beloved pet was alone and he wanted someone to see about “Bongo”. I wonder how many times we overlook that concern?

9:07 PM  
Blogger Mommanurse said...

I love it when we find out they have miniatures, or something small enough to smuggle in. Our main ID guy says "no animals, no way" but he can bite my butt. One of the reasons I work nights. I have shown more than one person where the back entrance is.
I think pet information should be included in a living will, or medical record information. I have seen decals you can put on your windows and doors for firemen so they know how many animals might be inside. Our Sheriffs Dept has been known to come get keys to take pets somewhere to be cared for until our people can go home, or for a new home, if going home is not to be.
There are only 2 places in this world to get unconditional love, and only one on earth.....in the presence of our four legged family members. How can that not be important? Sure is to me. Glad it is to you, too.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you be my nurse when I get sick? I'm only half joking. I think it's wonderful that you find a way for patients to see their pets.

While visiting Germany, we noticed that most people had dogs with them even in restaurants. It was almost automatic that the waiter brought the dog a water bowl before taking the people's food order.

I’ve heard that most English hospitals allow pets but also have a resident dog/cat or two.

Which reminds me. I once had a cat that HAD to be a nurse in another life. She would always sit by other animals when they weren't feeling well (this would be long before I notice symptoms). She would lick their faces, cuddle up against them,,, even if they growled at her to go away, she stayed her ground. When animals came back from the Vet, she always stayed close to them. Once they were well, she was long gone!

She was a sweetie and I learned to listen to what she told me

I really like your idea about putting that info in the will. I think I'll take care of that before I forget!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home